Things to Do
Welcome to Whitehall! The legendary Tobacco Mountains rise majestically on the immediate horizon. Whitehall sits in the heart of the Jefferson Valley, a stone 's throw from the waters of the Jefferson River, close to three different mountain ranges and spectacular recreational opportunities.
An outdoor deck at the inn invites you to sit back and listen to the relaxing sounds of Fish Creek and watch wildlife engaging in their daily activities. If it is relaxation you're looking for, our porches offer just the right spot for getting lost in a novel or snoozing the afternoon away.
Our part of big sky country, Southwest Montana is a virtual outdoor playground. Surrounded by the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest, there are a number of year-round activities to enjoy without ever having to leave the inn. The spring, summer and fall seasons offer fantastic fly fishing, hiking, horseback riding, and mountain biking.
Some of the most unique aspects of local flavor are the county fairs, rodeos, festivals, mining history and museums can be found just outside the Fish Creek House. Here in our part of Montana, you can take in a museum and go to a rodeo... all in 1 day.
- Explore trails just outside our door. Hike, bird watch, and enjoy trails that lead to beautiful meadows through the wooded property where whitetail deer and other wildlife wander freely. We invite you to explore the grounds and enjoy the wildlife.
- Bed, breakfast and barn! Bring your horse and ride. Can there be a better way to experience the authentic Old West than riding the trail? Giddyup! We have stalls, hay, and fresh water available for your horses. Ride from a different trailhead every day if you like, then return to a hot shower and comfortable bed where you can cook by the river or enjoy the western hospitality at one of our local restaurants.
You are responsible for your horse's daily care. Any hay brought in must be certified weed-free to prevent the introduction of noxious weeds to our area. You may also bring pellets or grain.
- Pamper yourself while you enjoy your stay at the the Fish Creek House and with a massage. Our licensed therapist blends various massage and bodywork modalities. Please book your massage appointment when making your room reservation.
- There is a huge variety of archery and rifle hunting: pheasant, deer, and elk. Both White-tail and Mule Deer are plentiful here. Check for our hunting specials . We are not outfitters, but we welcome any hunters who are seeking comfortable lodging, and access to BLM and National Forest land.
- For information about hunting and fishing licenses please contact Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks or call (406) 444-2950.
- Tour the Whitehall Lewis & Clark Bicentennial Mural. The spectacular Lewis & Clark Bicentennial Mural series has attracted national recognition, and portrays a dozen actual events during the expedition.
- Continue the journey of the Lewis and Clark Trail, Explore Montana's first and best known state park showcases; the Lewis and Clark Caverns; located 30 miles east of Whitehall.
- Enjoy world class fly fishing.We are a short distance from the famous Madison and Jefferson Rivers, and within 60 to 90 minutes of blue-ribbon rivers such as the Missouri, Big Hole, Beaverhead, Gallatin, Yellowstone, and Ruby. River Rafting trips can be arranged with our local outfitter upon request
- Public lands offer breath-taking scenery for a wide variety of recreational pursuits. Whether it's wilderness trekking in the Anaconda-Pintler or Lee Metcalf wildernesses, driving the Gravelly Range Road or Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway, southwest Montana has it all.
- Step back in time and relive the Montana frontier gold rush experience in the ghost towns of Virginia City and Nevada City
- The ghost town of Bannack, the site of Montana's first major gold discovery, is designated as a National Historic Landmark. A visit to Montana first territorial capital in the dead of winter can be a chilling experience..
- In winter, enjoy some of Montana's best x-country and downhill skiing at Ski Discovery in nearby Anaconda. Spend the day driving the scenic Anaconda Pintler" loop, enjoying wildlife viewing or hiking . When your day is over, return back to the Fish Creek House Bed and Breakfast and enjoy the sunset from the porch.
Ranch activities vary by season and schedules. What doesn't vary is the warm and friendly hospitality you'll enjoy here at the Fish Creek House Filled with adventurous possibilities..get out and explore... We invite you to experience nature's beauty while enjoying your accommodations in our traditional log built western home.
Come play with us at here in Montana. Getting here is easy – it's leaving that's the hard part.